Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Whirlwind of Maturity for Bree

Wow so much has happened in the last two days its hard to know where to begin!

First I think I'll explain about the toilets. Right, so in every bathroom there is no toilet paper, but there is a little hose thing, like what you use in the those sinks that let you pull out the spray thingy to reach dishes. And thus you use said spray thing to clean yourself...yup.... it is interesting. While it may be more sanitary actually, it is highly uncomfortable if you find yourself in an establishment such as the A1 Bar (which is actually the Excel Bar I just found out) in which the hose does not work, well then you have a water bucket and a cup for transporting it to...your butt. So that's India. Sometime when I don't have so many actual things going on, I'll try to explain the dirtiness of India although I really don't think you can understand without experiencing it!

So, the first thing that happened, actually 2 evenings ago was that Penny made Karl turn off the TV during the only football game he truly wanted to watch, Holland vs. ....someone. He was furious after already being a bit fed up. So he went to the bar to watch and I stayed home and emailed and then went to bed early to read for awhile. He knocked on my door and told me he was leaving the next morning and staying with Bill for a few days. He would never come back, he didn't want his name associated with MDT, and he was obviously so disappointed with the way things turned out although he kept repeating that he had done good things for the dogs and that was enough. We laid about and chatted until late because it was obvious that he needed to talk about and was upset and I reassured him (he kept saying he felt sorry for me) that I would set boundaries and if push came shove, I would leave and go travel! We ended up discussing my deep aversion to having anyone upset at me and *remember this, it is important later* how I would have to get over it.

So flash forward to the next where I went out on my own for the first time! It was so fun to just wander through the shops and I bought a few clothing items, some postcards, a book, and a bag I really love! Afterwards I went to the Teapot for some dinner and sat and read my new book. Just as I paid the bill, a white woman came in all alone, knowing that I had nothing else to do I asked if she wanted some company. Great idea! She was Australian and her name was Junie. We talked for over 2 hours and then we went for a walk on the beach and to the bar where I introduced her to Karl and Bill! Turns out she had been looking for MDT because she LOVES dogs and we just had the best time together even though she is 47 and I'm just 21. She and the menfolk decided that they would go on to Goa together on Friday, a 12 hr train ride. I was so sad that all my friends were leaving, and together!

When we left the bar, it was 11:30 and all the rickshaws were done and so we decided that Junie and I would walk to MDT and if it was too scary for her to walk herself home, she could just stay. Yea....India is confusing and we were really really lost. UNTIL we found two policemen on a motorcycle who let us follow them and eventually met up with a police jeep who had us hop in the back like common criminals and 5 policemen drove us home! It was a total trip and the only time I've ever been in a police car.

She slept at MDT and met Penny in the morning where she could already tell that she was a) good at a guilt trip and b) said so many insulting things that you could think that you simply heard wrong if she didn't say so many! So, because the vet didn't show up (AGAIN! she is engaged and takes days off all the time but doesn't say she won't be there until a half hour after she should be there) I went with Junie to meet the men to plan their trip. Penny called during breakfast and needed me to come back and give an injection, but I told her I would come after breakfast and decided that maybe I would like to travel to Goa with them! and they said I could, I was so excited to have such great traveling companions and to see somewhere else but terrified to tell Penny that I was going to leave for a few days on Friday.

So because I am a wimp, I took Junie as backup :-) Penny was already in a tizzy for various reasons and both be a victim and be mad and be ok all at the same time but said enough vaguely insulting things that Junie spoke up. For example "I am always being taken advantage of" well that may not be directed at me, but in context.....Eventually Junie said "Be careful, Bree has done a great job for you and she deserves to travel a bit while she can". It was very scary because I hate people being mad at me. But I survived and I think it will be ok! Not only that, butttt!

We leave for Goa on Monday! And with 4 lovely travel companions on a 12 hr sleeper train which Bill and I have never done before! We are so excited and there will no drama. Just waterfalls, beaches, shops, nature, and (from what we hear) super cheap beer! So hurrah for standing up myself even though it meant that when I came home I was given the task of scrubbing slime off all 4 rooftops which will take me hours and working for an hour on file cards for the dog and then having them criticized. The only reason I can deal is because I know she does so much good for the animals, I'm leaving Monday, I have friends!, and she leave in July (woohoo!). Not only that, but I do understand how stressed she is and she can't depend on her vet and she lost her husband a year ago. It's so very sad and stressful and I'm just so sorry about it all. I hope she never reads this, but honestly it was so uncomfortable even if she did take me to a pretty beach for a bit tonight. I didn't dare go to the bar after the whole fiasco.

On the brighter side again, we picked a young beach dog off the beach and she has attached herself to me. She whines when I get in the shower because she can't see me, sleeps right next to my bed, and follows me with a very flattering devotion. I have called her Molly and she is so very sweet.

Well I am off to go read....or something I don't know, I just continue being polite and am honestly just proud of myself for sticking up for myself when it is hard for me. And for meeting this lovely lady who has interests so similar to my own. I actually have had a wonderful few days with them and can't wait to travel with such laid back, fun, and wonderful people. And traveling with a man from Holland, one from England, and a woman from Australia? Sweet. And how mature am I? I can hang with the over 40 crowd :-) It's nice to know I have someone to look out for me and someone to find if I need to leave here and go somewhere else.

Loving India still and so excited to get to Monday!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Just so you know you are giving your mother an ulcer! I do love your sense of adventure and am glad you are so mature and compassionate for Penny. I think it is good to remember several things:1)that she is an older lady and works so hard I am sure it is tiring for her 2) she was so generous to offer for you to stay for free 3) older people tend to say EVERYTHING they are thinking without thinking about how it sounds.
    Love you baby girl. Please be safe. Ugghhh traveling with people I have never met!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! I'm going through reading all of these, and just so you know- this whole toilet setup is horrifying me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom gave excellent advice. Have fun and be safe. The "place to see before you die" on Sunday (my Google page) was GOA, India!!

    ReplyDelete